The Tesla Model Y is one of the most popular electric vehicles (EVs) on the market today. With its sleek design, impressive performance and range, and high-tech features, it’s easy to see why Tesla fans are snapping up the Model Y in large numbers.
One challenge for Model Y owners is finding convenient EV charging options when traveling and staying in hotels. While Tesla’s Supercharger network provides fast DC fast charging on road trips, most hotels only offer slower Level 2 charging at best. Selecting a hotel with high-powered EV charging stations can make a big difference in the convenience and enjoyment of your travels with a Tesla Model Y.
In this article, we’ll highlight some of the best EV charging options currently available at hotels for Tesla Model Y owners. We’ll cover what to look for in a hotel EV charger, the different levels of charging, and provide recommendations on hotels that offer exceptional EV charging amenities for Tesla drivers.
What to Look for in a Hotel EV Charger
When selecting a hotel for your Tesla Model Y, you’ll want to look for the following key factors regarding their EV charging stations:
- Power level – Look for Level 2 stations (208-240V) which can provide 15-30 miles of range per hour of charging. Avoid hotels with only 110V outlets which provide less than 5 miles of range per hour.
- Number of stations – The more charging stations available, the better chances you’ll have of plugging in without waiting. Look for hotels with 4-10 charging stations if possible.
- Connector type – Hotels should have J1772 connectors that are compatible with the Tesla Model Y using its included adapter. Tesla-specific connectors are ideal if available.
- Cost – Many hotels offer EV charging for free as an amenity, while others charge an hourly or daily rate. Compare pricing to find the best value.
- Location – Charging stations should be conveniently located near hotel entrances or main parking areas. Accessibility and lighting are also important.
Understanding EV Charging Levels
When evaluating hotel EV chargers, it helps to understand the differences between the various charging levels:
- Level 1 is basic 120V/110V charging from a regular household outlet. Very slow charging speed.
- Level 2 offers 208-240V charging from a dedicated EVSE station. Provides 10-30 miles of range per hour.
- DC Fast Charging (Supercharging) uses 480V power to deliver up to 200+ miles in 15-30 minutes. Requires special high-powered equipment.
For overnight hotel charging, Level 2 stations are ideal to top off your Model Y’s battery while you sleep. Tesla’s Supercharger network remains the fastest charging option for road trips.
Recommended Hotels with Tesla Model Y Charging
Here are some top-rated hotels across the United States that offer excellent EV charging options for Tesla Model Y owners:
Hilton Los Angeles Universal City (Los Angeles, CA)
- 8 Tesla-specific Superchargers located onsite
- Prime location near Hollywood and area attractions
- Modern rooms and amenities such as pool, gym, restaurants
Hyatt Regency Orlando (Orlando, FL)
- 12 Tesla Destination Charging stations available
- Easy access to Disney World, Universal Orlando
- Newly renovated contemporary rooms and public areas
Westin Denver Downtown (Denver, CO)
- 4 Level 2 EV charging stations, $2 per hour fee
- Heart of downtown near shopping, sports, and entertainment
- Signature Westin Heavenly Beds and 5-star service
The Mayflower Hotel (Washington DC)
- 6 Level 2 EV charging stations, complimentary charging
- Historic luxury hotel near the White House and monuments
- Elegant rooms, fitness center, cocktail bar, and ballrooms
Hotel Zetta (San Francisco, CA)
- 4 Level 2 EV charging stations, $35 overnight fee
- Sleek tech-focused hotel in downtown San Francisco
- Fun amenities like evening wine hour and game room
InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown (Los Angeles, CA)
- 6 Level 2 EV charging stations, $25 overnight fee
- Ultra modern luxurious hotel with pool and spa
- Walking distance to LA Live, Staples Center, museums
Tesla Hotel Charging Tips
To ensure you can charge your Model Y when staying at hotels, follow these tips:
- Research charging options before booking and look for Tesla-specific connectors if possible.
- Call ahead to confirm charging station availability and parking policies for EVs.
- Consider booking EV charging in advance as stations may be limited.
- Pack your Tesla charging adapter to be prepared for different connector types.
- Park as close as possible to charging stations for convenient access.
- Ask staff if any preferential EV parking spots are available upon check-in.
- Charge overnight to achieve a full charge by morning.
- Top off your charge before departing for maximum available range.
With a little planning, you can enjoy reliable charging for your Tesla Model Y even when staying at hotels. Look for hotels that offer premium EV charging facilities to provide the ideal accommodation for Tesla drivers. By understanding charger types, costs, and policies, you can make sure your Model Y is powered up for adventure during all your travels.
Vendor Spotlight: RelayPro Hotel panic buttons are a new requirement for hotels, but they don’t have to be a new expense. RelayPro was recently approved by Marriott, IHG and Choice hotels and has been installed in nearly 2,000 properties. RelayPro is BOTH a 4G/Wi-Fi walkie talkie and a cutting-edge panic button with VOICE communication.