On all hotel build and renovation projects, the hotel owner and operators technology vision needs to be reviewed, confirmed and then applied to the design very early in the project.
All aspects of the hotel technology requirements and ultimate hotel technology operations must be pre-planned.
The Project technology Criteria development will follow this general process:
- Investigation Phase – An assessment of all available and emerging hotel technologies. Commonly, a “Technology matrix document is used to present and record the criteria decisions.
- Preliminary Visioning and acceptance proposed solutions
- Schematic design and Budgeting for the proposed solutions
- Formal Acceptance of the technology decision matrix and budget
- Final Design and Request for Proposal or Design-Build vendor pricing submittal
A detailed matrix for reference
The following matrix is provided as an in-progress understanding of the technology solutions planned for the property. The information shown is a potential record of conversations and generally are proposed technology solutions for review and confirmation by the hotel owner and operator. Brand standards should be consulted in all technology decisions.
NOTE: The RFP process will be for non-specified systems will be Multi-Vendor in order to be competitive.
DAS – Distributed Antenna System for In-Building Cellular Enhancement
DND – Do Not Disturb
EMS – Energy Management System
FTG – Free to Guest Entertainment channels HSIA – High Speed Internet Access HD – High Definition referencing TV Display Resolution
IDF – IT Closet (Intermediate Distribution Frame) IP – Internet Protocol
MDF – Main IT Room (Main Distribution Frame) MUR – Make Up Room
PBX – Phone System
PMS – Property Management System
POS – Point of Sale
USB – Universal Serial Port
VOD – Video on Demand Entertainment Channels VoIP – Voice over Internet Protocol
WAP – Wireless Access Point or Antenna
Click any of the titles below for more details about what you’ll need to plan for in your front-facing hospitality business:
Technology Solution Features: Analog or VoIP, Cordless or Corded
Technology Solution Features: Magnetic Stripe, NFC, RFID, Mobile Key, Online/Offline, Audio tone
Comments & Discussion Points: Online systems need communications (Wfi, Zigbee, etc)
Technology Solution Features: Local / stand alone thermostat, online HVAC with centralized control to EMS
Comments & Discussion Points: Online systems need communications (Wfi, Zigbee, etc), Utility rebates may be available
Technology Solution Features: Local light switches, Master on/off, Room Scene selections, Guest device control, Hotel owned tablet, Motorized shades
Technology Solution Features: Administration, Analog, VoIP, etc.
Comments & Discussion Points: On-property vs. above property
Technology Solution Features: Wired ports (1 or more), in-room AP, Property-wide wireless
Comments & Discussion Points: Bandwidth needs, authentication requirements, network seperation
Technology Solution Features: IPTV, RFTV, LCD Screen, Screen Size, Remote control, HD vs. 4K, DVD/Blu-ray player, Set-top- boxes, Jack pack
Comments & Discussion Points: Audio system, external sound bar, bathroom TV
Technology Solution Features: Paper hanger, phone
Comments & Discussion Points: Rapid guest response
Technology Solution Features: Electronic door bell, integration to DND system, tray detection
Technology Solution Features: Electronic Integration with PMS, reset/unlock features
Technology Solution Features: USB, iPhone, iPad, Wireless Charging, Radio (FM/AM)
Technology Solution Features: RF Radio, Wi-Fi, Cellular
Comments & Discussion Points: Infrastructure requirements, Rapid Response Systems
Technology Solution Features: DAS, Wi-Fi, Small Cells
Comments & Discussion Points: Infrastructure Requirements, Local mobile network operator needs
Technology Solution Features: Door locks (guest room and back of house), CCTV
Technology Solution Features: IDF Homerun, in- room media termination box, in- room switch, STB/phone integrated switch
Technology matrix pre-questions
For reference, below is a sample draft of the technology planning matrix. This document would need to be tailored to each property’s needs and technology vision.
- Room Count and Floor layout: is there a set key count? Standard rooms, suites, Premium suites?
- Location: Will the property be in a Metropolitan area, multi-acre ranch/mountain or Caribbean Villa style location?
- Will the property be a 4 to 5-star major Brand or a Boutique style?
- Is this property flagged with one of the major chains, and if so, are we to be held to any of their technology design standards (we need a copy of that document)?
- Has a list of Property Back-Of-House Applications been established that required to interface into the Guest Room Control System: PMS, POS, Spa/Restaurant Reservations, etc.
- Has an operator company been established yet – and if so, do they have any pre-set mandatory technology requirements and/or mandatory 3rd party providers that must be designed for?
- Will there be any mixed use occupancy at this facility; Hotel Only, Partial Residential, Residential component to be rentable to the hotel?
- What is the plan for Retail and restaurants? Will there be any branded restaurants?
- Is the target Market youth, seasons business travelers, unknown?
- Does the property plan to target a LEED status?